Fairly complete pencils, possibly some refining is necessary but from here it's 3-4 hours of inking and greyscale. Note: inventive layout, it may be late but it's a unique page. This was more or less my original layout design for this page but I'd like to think it's distantly inspired by Will Eisner's inventive panels and layouts. Also, I'm in the middle of reading a biography on him (as I mentioned on Friday's comic) so I may just be thinking that but who knows.
E-cookie to whoever knows where I'm working!
I'm getting horrible at this. I didn't start today's page until almost 4pm which would be inconsequential if I hadn't planned on going to see/hear Ira Glass at Chrysler Hall at 7pm, thus leaving borjo just after 6 to purchase a ticket before 7. I won't have the page done by midnight but hopefully I'll have something great to share with Wednesday's page, additional art or something wildly entertaining.
I have run out of pre-penciled pages so now I'm doing 100% of my work hours or days before the pages instead of the last 70% when I had them fully penciled. Don't worry, I still have my notes and many pages have thumbnails for me to follow, it's just time consuming to boarder and layout the pages before I add life with the inks and colors. Bear with me, I plan to devote time to laying out pages one afternoon, it just hasn't happened yet. It will.
--
As of 10:40pm - I'm working on the inks. Seeing Ira Glass at the Chrysler was pretty amazing and it was great to run into some friends while out too. Ira is so pumped and energetic on the podcast but seeing just how much he gesticulates while talking was adorable and awesome. I was with it the entire show from his dark opening, literally, they turned off pretty much all the lights and he presented his intro, through to the questions at the end. I had none, which was fine, it was just a wonderful experience and I'd listen to him on stage, again in a heart beat.
--
As of 11pm inks are finished. Now clean up and spot colors, which are the ones that never change much, such as my hair and skin unless I'm doing a lighting thing.
Essentially you're getting a blow-by-blow of my pages, kind of. I do want to do a time lapse video it'd just be long as ridiculous and even with a time lapse it might not be that entertaining to watch. I'll look for either a really interesting day or a one-off panel for that so it's a bit shorter to film.
--
| I make faces like this all the time on DailyBooth |
About ten to midnight, this is what's here. I just straight up stopped working to Internet for a while which is why more isn't done. That and I try to be careful about my edges, the inking helped mask bleeding but the values still bleed under the inks. I also learned tonight that Webb closes at midnight all together, which is a load a shit imo. Students should be allowed to use the friggin' student center 24/7 like before. I mean, I understand why, by not being open all night ODU's hoping to minimize the chance of someone being robbed or attacked but still, if it's open, people will come. But I guess they're saving money, but only if they turn off the lights....
--
6pm, Mon Oct, 2011 - I just continue working intuitively until I have the final page. And I fix anything I forgot to ink or whatever until it's as done as I make my pages. I scan at 600 DPI no matter which scanner but there is a noticeable difference in image quality so I'm going to re-scan everything with one scanner prior to ever printing this beast. The values always look a bit washed out, so I shift the contrast and shit until I like the look of my final image.
Things of Interest
Warm Ups and Other Art
Other:
Commission Rates
100 Days on Facebook
My YouTube

No comments:
Post a Comment