Thursday, January 27, 2011

August 24


Notes:Well my lovelies, we are rapidly approaching the end of this little experiment, year one of this project. It's weird, I'll be happy for the break but I know I'll miss this. I mean, I'm not doing any major work for this until this June. If I knew what type of response I'd get for a book I'd go through that arduous task of re-scanning every page, cleaning them up and prepping a book, but I also haven't quite looked into those costs yet. I want to make a book but I also want there to be a demand for a book. I have big plans and I can't wait to get them going.

If you know what song I'm singing you get a musical e-cookie, and no cheating and looking it up. Also in that second panel, that's how I generally prepare food, I cut things in the air over the pan or pot I'm going to cook in depending on the density of the item and how I'm cooking. Sausage, garlic, onions, bell peppers and other  produce I can slice, dice or mince like this. It's how my mother would prepare food. I didn't figure out how a cutting board out not cutting things in the air worked until I was like...10 and I was trying to cut carrots which are too dense to safely cut in the air. I can't recall cutting myself preparing food in this fashion, and this was always done with steak knives. I have never used specialty knives, even now I just use steak knives and I have a paring knife that I don't like because the blade is too chunky, I can't use it on garlic.

I like the divide of this page, breaking it into registers for the different things I did today. I really like how it came out. In that first panel I'm actually sitting on the futon, which you should remember from the 4th of July when I got it. It also appears in the background of July 20th,  I just don't like it as much as the couch, not as comfortable, but I do appreciate having it. It is a nice change of pace, I just definitely need to have something to lean against if I'm going to sit like I am in the panel.

--

In recent news, I've looked into Heroes Con, again, and I really want to go, and Norfolk or Reston homies who want to drive down to Charlotte with me for the weekend? It's $30 for the weekend, plus hotel expenses and driving down there, not too bad. A lot of great people will be there and it sounds like a nice, relatively relaxed convention.

So, this week my creative writing class got our first stories for workshop, the first one I read did not impress me, I hope the one I read tomorrow is better. I'm weird when I critique writing, I ask questions instead of just stating my opinion. It's not that I'm not definitive about what I'd like to see, I'm curious about what the writer was thinking so instead of always just saying what doesn't work, I ask why they didn't do more to make something work or to gt it to work better. I feel as if I was a little hard on this first guy, I don't know what to expect, I don't know what's expected of me, but if I'm given free reign to be critical to help their writing then I will. Some things I was critical of were just instances of bad writing, an example would be a comma prior to an 'and' on the second clause of a sentence. (Ex. Clause 1, and clause 2, clause 3) it didn't make sense to me, but I don't know if the guy doesn't know that's bad writing or what. And things were inconsistent. In talking about this, there are no names used, but I wonder if this is a breach of respect and privacy about his work. I dunno.

Other recent news: peanut butter is scientifically known to reduce menstrual pain prior to and during menstruation, I knew there was a reason why I loved peanut butter. I also used the term 'chick-boner' on more than one occasion today and I'm really fucking happy that Norfolk only got rain and didn't get dumped with snow like the Metro-DC area.  I look forward to finishing my stories that I need to critique, but then I remember that instead of having free reign to read what I want to, I need to type and edit my story because I need to submit it this coming Tuesday. I hope that my writing is as good as I think it is. I think highly of myself, but I still have questionable self-esteem per what other people think.

Have I thanked you guys recently? If not, thank you for reading this every day or every week, whichever you choose. Thank you everyone who stopped by on Monday, that had to have been an interesting first comic for some if is was your first comic here. Umm, I'm going to run away now, maybe watch some Look Around You because my DVD of the first series arrived the other day and I'm just going to keep rambling.

Commission Rates on dA
100 Days on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I like the dividers for your day too, the different Jasmine actions made me smile.

    ReplyDelete